Fragrant and soothing, this chickpea masala served over rice with a cooling side of yogurt is packed with vibrant flavours.
- large skillet
- wooden spoon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ghee
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 fresh green chili peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cinnamon stick (2 inches/5 cm long)
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garam masala
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground turmeric and coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (540 mL each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) plain 4% Greek yogurt, divided
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) basmati rice, cooked according to package directions, for serving
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
Tip: Alternatively, serve with warm naan bread.
- Heat large skillet set over medium heat; cook cumin and mustard seeds for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant and starting to pop. Stir in ghee, onion, chili peppers, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are very tender.
- Stir in garam masala, turmeric, coriander, pepper, salt, mango powder and cayenne; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in chickpeas; cook for 1 minute or until well coated. Stir in tomatoes and sugar; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low.
- Remove 1/2 cup (125 mL) masala and toss with 1/2 cup (125 mL) yogurt. Stir back into skillet and cook until heated through. Stir in lime juice. Serve masala over bed of rice and sprinkle with cilantro. Drizzle with remaining yogurt.