Children will love helping you stuff the pasta shells.
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Chopping board and knife
- Large pot to boil pasta
- Medium saucepan
- Small bowl
- 12" x 8" (30 x 19 cm) Baking dish
- 20 jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 19oz (540 mL) can chopped or whole tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cup (375 mL) creamed cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
Children will love helping you stuff the pasta shells with the mozzarella and cottage cheese mixture, then lining the shells up in the sauce-covered baking dish.
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan, over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add basil, oregano, sugar and tomatoes, breaking up tomatoes with a fork.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cottage cheese, 3/4 cup (175 mL) mozzarella cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, parsley nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Spoon 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato sauce into 12" x 8" (30 x 19 cm) baking dish.
- Stuff each pasta shell with 1 heaping tablespoon (15 mL) of cheese filling. Arrange over sauce in baking dish.
- Spoon remaining sauce over top of filled shells.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes.