Good for cold winter days or early summer mornings.
- Large pot
- Measuring cup
- 1 cup (250 mL) Kokuho rice
- 12 cups (3 L) water
- 1 14 oz can (400 g) preserved cabbage
- 2-3 fresh bamboo shoots
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
1) In a large pot, wash rice with cold water until water runs clear.
2) Add 12 cups of water
3) Bring pot to a boil.
4) Once boiled, lower temperature and simmer for at least one hour.
5) Ladle congee into bowls. Optional: Garnish with green onions, finely sliced ginger and dash of sesame oil.
Sauteed Preserved Cabbage and Bamboo:
1) Run cold water over preserved cabbage to wash away some of the salt. Squeeze out excess water from cabbage.
2) Slice bamboo shoots thinly.
3) Heat oil in wok. Pan fry bamboo shoots quickly for about 1 minute.
4) Add preserved cabbage and fry together.
5) Add water and cook until hot (1-2 minutes).
Serve congee hot with side dishes like sautéed preserved cabbage and bamboo.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately