This hearty soup is great way to warm up on a brisk day.
- Large saucepan
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Cutting board and knife
- Wooden spoon
- 1 cup (250 mL) 15% cream
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 butternut squash, seeds and rind removed, cubed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped ginger root
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and cook shallots and garlic for about 2 minutes.
- Add squash, ginger root and nutmeg. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and continue cooking 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Pour soup into a blender and purée until smooth. Return to saucepan.
- Stir in cream. Reheat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- At serving time, garnish with coconut.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately