The perfect brunch dish, this take on eggs Benedict includes the fresh and creamy taste of avocado. Simply serve with a salad.
- Small Saucepan
- Medium Saucepan
- 2 tsp (10 mL) butter
- 4 tsp (20 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely grated Canadian Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each, hot sauce and salt
- 4 small slices olive, cheese or crusty Italian bread
- 4 eggs
- 4 thin slices Black Forest ham
- 4 slices tomato
- 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- Chives for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour. Gradually whisk in milk. Stirring continously, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently 1 min.
- Whisk in Parmesan, mustard powder, hot sauce and salt. Remove from heat; sauce will thicken slightly while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Toast bread.
- Poach eggs in simmer water about 3 min. Fold ham to fit on each slide of bread, followed by a slice of tomato, avocado slices then eggs. Drizzle with sauce then sprinkle with chives if using.
Cooking Tip: Add about 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar to eggs' poaching water; this helps eggs to hold their shape. Gently pat eggs dry with paper towel after cooking to prevent break from becoming soggy.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately