Looking to jazz up your stuffing over the holidays? This holiday favourite has never tasted so good.
- Large Baking Sheet
- Casserole Dish
- Large Frying Pan
- Large Bowl
- 7 cups Italian, sourdough or white bread cut into 1-inch cubes (1/2 loaf)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 apple, unpeeled and diced
- 1 ripe pear, unpeeled and diced
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped, a 100 g pkg
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 325⁰F.
2. To dry out bread, place on a large baking sheet and bake for 15 min, stirring once.
3. Butter a 10-inch casserole dish.
4. In a large bowl, whisk eggs with milk. Add bread and stir. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onions with celery until tender, for about 3 min.
5. Stir in fruit, hazelnuts, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Add to bread mixture; stir to combine. Pour into prepared dish.
6. Bake about 45 min or until puffed and hot in centre.
Cooking tip: Use day-old bread, if you can. It's even better.