Homemade eggnog is a great way to bring the family together and warm up near a fire.
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Double boiler
- 6 Eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) Maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 ml) Salt (optional)
- 4 cups (1 litre) Milk
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Vanilla extract
- Whisk together eggs, syrup, and salt. Mix in 2 cups (500 ml) of the milk. Place in top of a double boiler or in a very heavy saucepan until mixture thickens enough to thinly coat a metal spoon or to 160° F (70° C), up to about 15 minutes. Depending on your stove and pan, stir frequently to keep the mixture smooth and prevent scorching. Do not boil!
- Remove pot immediately from heat. Whisk in remaining milk and vanilla. Strain through a fine sieve. Cover and chill. Consume within 24 hours.
- Warm it up and top with nutmeg and/or cinnamon.
Adult Option: Add some dark rum for a bit of Christmas 'spirit'.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately