Skip the line at the mall and enjoy this classic Chinese tea drink anytime! Making it at home with just a few ingredients is so simple that it may just become a daily treat.
- Heatproof bowl
- Stirring spoon
- 1 cup (250 mL) tapioca pearls
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) honey, divided
- 4 orange pekoe tea bags
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange zest
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- Use any variety of tea, such as Earl Grey, jasmine or chai.
- Find tapioca pearls (boba) in the international aisle of any well-stocked grocery store or Asian market.
- Prepare tapioca pearls according to package directions; drain well. Stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey until well coated.
- Meanwhile, in large heatproof bowl, pour 2 cups (500 mL) boiling water over tea bags and orange zest; steep for 5 minutes. Remove and discard tea bags, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Strain and discard zest. Stir in remaining honey until dissolved. Add 2 cups (500 mL) cold water.
- Divide tapioca pearls evenly among 4 tall glasses. Pour tea into each glass. Top with milk. Serve with wide-mouth straws.