Loaded with fresh herbs and warm spices, these tasty barbecued ground lamb skewers are served with grilled lemons and a tangy yogurt sauce.
- bamboo skewers
- mixing bowls
- 1 lb (500 g) ground lamb
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each finely chopped fresh parsley and mint
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cumin and coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 2 lemons, halved
- YOGURT CUCUMBER SAUCE:
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced cucumber
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground cumin and coriander
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
Tip: Drizzle kabobs with pomegranate molasses for a hint of sweetness.
- Kabobs: Soak bamboo skewers in water for 15 minutes. Mix together lamb, onion, bread crumbs, egg, parsley, mint, cilantro, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, cinnamon and cayenne.
- Shape 2 tbsp (30 mL) lamb mixture into small sausage shape; repeat with remaining lamb mixture. Thread kabobs lengthwise onto skewers.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well and grill kabobs, turning occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through. Meanwhile, grill lemons, cut side down, for 3 to 5 minutes or until well marked.
- Yogurt Cucumber Sauce: Stir together yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, honey, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Serve kabobs with yogurt sauce, grilled lemons and cucumber slices.