Fresh juicy raspberries make this moist cake a winner to tote along to your next summer get together.
- Plastic wrap
- Parchment paper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) grated lemon or orange zest
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh raspberries
- CRÈME ANGLAISE:
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- In a saucepan, combine cream and vanilla bean over medium heat. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove vanilla bean, scrape out seeds and return to cream.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until thickened and lightened in colour. Slowly whisk cream into eggs and return mixture to saucepan, stirring gently for about 3 minutes or until thickened enough to coat back of spoon. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Make-ahead: Can be refrigerated for up to 3 days
- Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C). Line 9 inch (23 cm) round cake or springform pan with parchment paper and brush bottom and sides with butter; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and eggs until thickened and ribbons remain when lifted. Slowly beat in ricotta cheese, butter, lemon or orange zest, and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until combined. Fold in raspberries. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool completely on cooling rack.
- Turn cake out onto serving platter and serve with Crème Anglaise.