Hearty, Healthy, and Delicious! For those of you looking to stay warm while still getting your super greens, this is the perfect recipe for you.
- Large Cooking Pot
- Measuring Cups
- 2 tsp (10 mL) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 900 ml container no salt-added or regular chicken broth
- 28 oz (796 mL) can no-salt added or regular diced tomatoes
- 19 oz (540 mL) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (500 mL) bite-size cauliflower florets, about 1/3 head
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 1/4 lb (125g) halved yellow beans, about 1 large handful
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) your favourite small pasta
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flower
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 4 cups (1 L) baby kale or spinach, about 1/2 (5 oz/142 g) pkg
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt (optional)
- Grated Canadian Parmesan (optional)
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 min.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, kidney beans, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, beans and Italian seasoning. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer covered 10 min. Add pasta. Cover and simmer 10 min longer or until pasta is tender.
- In large measuring cup, whisk flour into milk. Gradually whisk into soup. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils.
- Stir in kale and pepper; gently boil 2 min. Taste and add salt if needed. Serve sprinkled with parmesan. If soup is too thick the next day, thin with broth or water.
Cooking Tip: Watching your sodium? Look for low-salt or no-salt-added chicken broth and canned tomatoes and eliminate salt in recipe. Of course regular broth and tomatoes work as well.