Baked into gorgeous golden, wonderfully moist muffins with warm spices, a touch of honey and a hit of chocolate, zucchini never tasted so good.
- non-stick miniature muffin pan
- 2 mixing bowls
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing spoon
- cooling rack
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) liquid honey
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded zucchini, (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Butter nonstick miniature muffin pans or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat and all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, honey, butter and orange juice until blended. Pour over dry ingredients and sprinkle with zucchini and chocolate chips; stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pans filling 24 deep cups or 36 shallow cups. Bake, in batches as necessary, for 15 to 18 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
- Replace chocolate chips with chopped toasted pecans, walnuts or almonds.
- Add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger in place of ground ginger, adding it with the juice.