Light and delicious summer treat using fresh local ingredients...
Photo from the 2014 Milk Calendar-June, Dairy Farmers of Canada
- 6-8 jars, dessert dishes, glasses
- 1 envelope (7 g) gelatin (1 tbsp / 15mL)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cool water
- 2 cups (500 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup and 1 Tbsp (75 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) strawberries
It's important to us to use quality Canadian dairy products - like the cream in this recipe! A fresh treat on a warm summer's day, this dessert tastes even more delicious than it looks. As our son grows, we know it will become a favourite for him, too. --Nichele & Gerhardus Steenbeek
1. In a bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cool water; let stand for 5min to soften.
2. In a saucepan, combine cream, milk, 1/4 cup (60mL) of the sugar and vanilla. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Pour over gelatin mixture and stir well until gelatin is dissolved.
3. Pour into 6 to 8 jars, glasses, dessert dishes. Cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate for 2 to 3 hours or until set, or for up to 2 days.
4. When ready to serve, in a bowl, using a potato masher or a fork, mash strawberries and remaining sugar together and spoon on top of cream in dishes.
Tips for kids: Make mini desserts using liqueur glasses or fun-coloured small dishes. Sprinkle some mini chocolate chips ontop of the strawberries.
Variation: Scrape the seeds of 1/4 vanilla bean into cream mixture and add pod, instead of using vanilla extract. Heat as directed and discard pod before mixing with gelatin. Using a mini chopper, process the sugar for the topping with a pinch of dried lavender flowers, then mash with strawberries.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately