Take your taste buds on an adventure. This savoury soup is the perfect way to warm up your loved ones.
- blender or food processor
- 900 mL carton (3.5 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) of your favourite Indian curry paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) split red lentils
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) packed baby spinach
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- plain yogurt for serving (optional)
1. Place broth, onion and curry paste in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add lentils, reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 min. Add sweet potato, continue to simmer covered about 10 min until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender. Add milk to hot soup.
2. Ladle about 1/3 of the soup into a blender or food processor (being very careful as it is hot). Puree, then return to soup in saucepan. Add spinach. Stir over medium heat, but don't boil, just until spinach is wilted, 1-2 min. Stir in lemon juice. Serve with a dollop of yogurt, if using.
Cooking Tip: Look for split red lentils are they cook in half the time as regular red lentils.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately