This stunning roast turkey is marinated in yogurt, store-bought jarred tandoori paste and aromatics for a flavourful and moist holiday bird.
- roasting pan
- aluminum foil
- TANDOORI TURKEY:
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) tandoori paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 2% plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 12 lb (5.4 kg) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cumin seeds
- MASHED YAMS:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) yams, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Tandoori Turkey: Stir together tandoori paste, yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, oil, garlic, and half of the salt and pepper. Pat turkey dry with paper towel. Remove giblets and neck. Rub tandoori marinade all over turkey, including under the skin and inside cavity. Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 10 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Drain any excess marinade from turkey. Season with remaining salt and pepper all over. Place celery, onion, garlic, cardamom and cumin seeds inside turkey cavity.
- Tie legs together with kitchen string and tuck wing tips underneath back. Place turkey, breast side up, in roasting pan fitted with rack. Roast in lower third of oven for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°F; cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of inner thigh registers 185°F (85°C). Transfer turkey to serving platter. Tent with foil and let stand for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Mashed Yams: In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook yams and garlic for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain well and return to pan over low heat. Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk, butter, cumin, salt and pepper. Mash until smooth; stir in green onions.
- Slice turkey; serve with mashed yams and glass of milk.
• Serve with prepared mango chutney or cranberry sauce if desired.
• If desired, marinate turkey in turkey bag, and then place in roasting pan.