To consume the most vitamins, minerals and other health protective compounds from food, choose a wide variety of foods and consume at least the recommended number of Food Guide Servings from each food group every day.
Follow specific Food Guide tips from Canada's Food Guide to make the healthiest choices:
- Eat at least one dark green and one orange vegetable each day.
- Make at least half of your grain products whole grain each day.
- Drink skim, 1% or 2% milk each day.
- Have meat alternatives such as beans, lentils and tofu often.
- Eat at least 2 Food Guide Servings of fish each week.
For athletes who choose to use a supplement, a “multi” type preparation, taken once a day, is the safest practice. In accordance with the Food Guide recommendations, everyone over age 50 should take a 400 IU (10 μg) vitamin D supplement each day.
Use FoodTrack Check on Balance to see how your food choices compare!
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately