- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Large non-stick frying pan
- Wooden spoon
- Shallow pan (6″ x 6″ x 2″)
- 2 cups (500 mL) pumpkin purée*
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cardamom seeds, crushed (buy them crushed or crush your own)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) raisins
- 2 1/2 Tbsp (40 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) almonds, slightly roasted and sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) rosewater
- Combine pumpkin, milk, cardamom, and raisins in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Heat gently and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated (about 25 minutes), stirring more frequently as the mixture thickens.
- Add butter, sugar, nuts, and rosewater. Stir well for 2 minutes.
- Spread the halwa out in the shallow pan to cool. Place in fridge to set overnight.
- Once cooled, cut into squares and serve.