- small baking pan
- whisk or fork
- 12 oz (375 g) mild or hot Italian sausage
- 4 cups (1 L) dried rigatoni or penne pasta (about 10 oz)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded local fontina or provolone cheese, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp (3045 mL) grated fresh local Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place sausages in a small baking pan and roast for about 20 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Let cool slightly and slice. Leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta for about 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain and return to pot; add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the butter and stir to coat.
- Add remaining butter to a saucepan and melt over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring for about 3 minutes or until softened. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until starting to bubble and thicken. Whisk in tomato paste until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of the cheese until melted. Stir in peas. Add cheese sauce to pasta along with sliced sausages and stir to combine.
- Pour into a baking dish and sprinkle top with remaining fontina, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Place in oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until bubbly and light golden on top.