What is School Milk BC?
It’s an initiative of BC Dairy Association that provides BC schools with tools and information for setting up a school milk program.
- All BC schools that serve milk to their students regularly are eligible to register
- Advice and assistance is available throughout the school year
- Students in registered schools are eligible to participate in contests and win prizes for themselves and their school!
Why register with School Milk BC?
- Canada’s new food guide recommends milk and dairy products as part of the protein category. It also recommends white milk as a healthy drink alternative to water.
- Children’s diets during school hours are sub-optimal, notably for dairy, according to our national Canadian Community Health Survey.
- Milk and milk products are rich in protein, calcium, riboflavin and vitamin B12 — nutrients essential to good health. It is difficult to obtain your daily requirements of calcium and vitamin D without consuming milk or milk products
- Children who drink milk at school are more likely to meet their nutrient needs. Make the healthy choice the easy choice!
Registration is easy!
- Appoint a School Milk Coordinator.
- Register for the program.
- Place a milk order with a processor or your local grocery store.
- Set the price for milk and encourage parents to prepay for milk by the month or year.
- Recruit student to volunteer and help distribute milk and incentive prizes.
- Call the BC Dairy Association if you have questions.
- Have fun! Look for exciting ways to award prizes and promote the program.
Need more information?
Email or call 1-800-242-MILK
- Tugault-Lafleur CN, Black JL, Barr SI. Examining school day dietary intake among Canadian children. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2017;42:1064–72.