- 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan
- Mixing bowl
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) diced fresh rhubarb
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) white chocolate chips
- Optional: vanilla ice cream or whipped creamfor topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. 3. In a saucepan, combine sugar and butter over medium heat and stir until butter is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, rhubarb and white chocolate until blended.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until edges are pale golden and just starting to pull away from sides of pan. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into squares and serve with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- Tip For a more tart rhubarb flavour and denser blondie, increase the amount of rhubarb to 1 cup (250 mL).
- You can substitute diced, tart apple (Granny Smith, Idared, McIntosh, Empire or Crispin are all grown in Canada) for the rhubarb in the recipe or, for a brighter red colour, use local raspberries, strawberries or cranberries.