- pie shell
- whisk or fork
- 1 frozen 9-inch (23 cm) deep dish pie pastry shell
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 9 spears fresh local asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded old Cheddar
- cheese, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake pastry shell for about 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool slightly. Brush with mustard; set aside.
- Chop asparagus, reserving tips to make about 1 cup (250 mL). In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook shallot, asparagus and half each of the salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in basil to coat.
- Sprinkle pie shell with 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the Cheddar cheese. Spoon asparagus mixture on top (hold on to the tips for garnish).
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and remaining salt and pepper. Gently pour mixture into pie shell. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and place asparagus tips decoratively on top.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until centre is set and knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool about 10 minutes before slicing into wedges to serve.