- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- 4 cups (500 g) fresh asparagus
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth or stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) flour
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) milk
- salt and pepper
- Cut asparagus into 2.5 cm pieces, discarding any tough ends.
- Combine asparagus, chicken broth and onion. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat. Simmer covered, for about 10–15 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender. Cover and blend until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk and heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in asparagus purée and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reheat.