- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Butter a 10-cup (2.5 L) Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients, whisking until smooth (the batter is liquidy).
- Scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 min or until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 20 min. Invert cake onto a rack set over a baking sheet to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk together cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Whisk in milk and corn syrup.
- Whisking continuously, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, whisking occasionally, for 30 sec until thickened.
- Whisk in vanilla.
- Pour over top of cake, letting excess drip down sides. Let cool.
Variation: For a celebration cake, after you’ve iced the cake, top with chocolate curls.
Cooking tip: For a higher cake, try using a smaller or differently shaped Bundt pan and adjust baking time accordingly.
TIP OF THE MONTH: Don’t forget that eating in a healthy way doesn’t mean depriving yourself, but rather finding balance and pleasure in the foods you love.