- large cast iron skillet (25 or 30 cm)
- blender or whisk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cornmeal
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, garlic powder anddried oregano leaves
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) local milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked and chopped rapini
- 1 local sausage, cooked and sliced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Drizzle oil in large, cast iron skillet to coat, then sprinkle cornmeal all over and place in cold oven. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a blender, combine flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, oregano, eggs and milk. Blend for about 2 minutes on medium until smooth. Once oven reaches temperature, remove skillet with oven mitts, pour batter into skillet and return to oven. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. You can also whisk the batter together if you do not have a blender.
- Spread mascarpone over base and sprinkle with rapini, sausage, blue cheese and onion. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle with hot pepper flakes, if using, before serving.