- 9×5” (23x13cm) loaf pan
- electric hand mixer
- wire rack
- 2 mixing bowls
- small sieve
- rubber or silicone spatula
- measuring cups and spoons
- ½ cup (120ml) melted butter
- 1⅓ cup (330ml) white sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 oz (225g) pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1½ cups+ 2 tbsp (390ml) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2ml) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2ml) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60ml) crystallized ginger, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup (60ml) chopped walnuts (optional)
- ¼ cup (60ml) dried cranberries (optional)
Chai spiced cream cheese
- 4 oz (113g) cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup (120ml) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (4ml) cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp (2ml) ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp (1ml) clove
- ⅛ tsp (1ml) ground cardamom
- 3-4 tbsp (45-60ml) milk
- Preheat the oven to 350’F (175’C) and lightly grease your loaf pan.
- Place the melted butter, eggs, pumpkin puree, sugar and milk.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla and stir to combine. Mix in the crystalized ginger, walnuts and/or cranberries if using,
- Spoon the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean and dry. Approximately 60-75 minutes. Remove from the loaf pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the loaf has cooled make your cream cheese icing. Beat the cream cheese until it is smooth. Beat in icing sugar and spices until smooth. Stir in milk and vanilla extract, adding another tablespoon of milk if needed. You want the icing to be a pourable glaze that’s not too thin, but will still run down the sides of the loaf.
- Once the glaze is ready gently pour it over the middle of the loaf, letting the icing run down the sides. Garnish with additional dried cranberries, thinly sliced candied ginger, and/or a dust of cinnamon as desired. Give the icing a few minutes to set, slice the bread and serve.