- Shallow Baking DIsh
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- 2 cups (500 mL) each chopped carrots, cauliflower and broccoli
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 6 oz (175 g) brick-style cream cheese (3/4 pkg), cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) fresh bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 8-cup (2 L) shallow baking dish.
- Place carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 3 inches (7.5 cm) and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium and boil gently for 5 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add cauliflower, then broccoli; cover, leaving lid slightly ajar, and boil gently for about 5 min or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Drain well and place in buttered dish.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter over medium heat; sauté onion for about 5 min or until softened. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and stir until melted.
- Sprinkle in flour, salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Gradually pour in milk, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking, for about 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low; add cream cheese and stir until smooth.
- Pour over vegetables in the dish; stir gently to coat evenly. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over casserole. Bake for 10 to 15 min until crisp and golden.