- Small pot
- Measuring spoons & cups
- Cutting board
- Large knife
- ½ cup (125 mL) quinoa, dried OR 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) red onion, minced
- ½ cup (125 mL) long english cucumber, seeded & chopped into cubes about ¼ of a whole cucumber
- ½ (125 mL) cup red pepper (½ of a small pepper), seeded & chopped into cubes about ⅛ inch
- ½ cup (125 mL) dried apricots (approximately 10 pieces), chopped into cubes about ⅛ inch
- ½ cup (125 mL) dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) paneer cheese, cubed (optional)
- ½ pomegranate, seeded
- ½ cup (125 mL) almonds, sliced and toasted
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) cumin, ground
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) coriander, ground
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa in 2 parts water, covered, for 15 minutes. For ½ cup of dry quinoa, add 1 cup water, cover and cook on medium high for 15 minutes. Fluff up with a fork and cool completely.
- While quinoa is cooking, chop the next 6 ingredients (cilantro, red onion, cucumber, red pepper, paneer cheese, dried apricots, dried cranberries). Set aside chopped items in refrigerator to keep cool except for dried fruit.
- Seed pomegranate carefully.
- Toast almonds carefully. They will burn quickly and continue to cook if left on a cookie sheet or pan (depending on what you use to toast the almonds). Remove from pan and allow to cool completely otherwise nuts will go soft.
- Make your dressing! Zest and juice a whole lemon adding ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp coriander, ⅓ c olive oil, and taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine all ingredients (quinoa, chopped vegetables and fruit, dressing) and mix well. Top with almonds and lightly toss.
- Keep salad refrigerated. Will keep for up to 3 days.
- Make quinoa ahead of time and kept in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- Chop up ingredients in advance to save time. Mix together 10 minutes before serving to keep it fresh!