- Bring milk to just below boiling (195°–200° F) in a heavy saucepan, stirring from time to time.
- As milk starts to rise in the pot, reduce heat and add lemon juice. Stir as if stroking gently. Curd should start to form within 10 seconds of adding the lemon juice.
- Remove from heat and hold for about 5 minutes.
- Line a sieve with muslin or several layers of cheesecloth. Strain through the cheesecloth and rinse with cold water. Hang for ½ hour to 1½ hours to drain some more. Cheese will be crumbly at this stage.
- For firmer cheese that can be sliced, wrap the cheese in muslin and press it for several hours with a heavy weight such as a large pot filled with water.
Use your paneer in these great recipes
Cauliflower and Spinach Bhaji
Indian Vegetable Korma