- large bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- double boiler
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 ml) salt (optional)
- 4 cups (1 litre) milk
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- Whisk together eggs, syrup, and salt. Mix in 2 cups (500 ml) of the milk. Place in top of a double boiler or in a very heavy saucepan until mixture thickens enough to thinly coat a metal spoon or to 160° F (70° C), up to about 15 minutes. Depending on your stove and pan, stir frequently to keep the mixture smooth and prevent scorching. Be careful not to boil!
- Remove pot immediately from heat. Whisk in remaining milk and vanilla. Strain through a fine sieve. Cover and chill. Best consumed within 24 hours.
- Serve warmed up with an optional sprinkle of nutmeg and/or cinnamon. For an adult option, add some dark rum for a festive cocktail.