- shallow bowl
- large skillet
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) peanut butter
- 8 slices day-old white bread, each 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) maple syrup, for serving
- 4 cups (1 L) 2% milk, for serving
- In shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, whole milk, vanilla, sugar and salt; set aside. Spread peanut butter over 4 slices of bread. Cap with remaining bread.
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in large skillet set over medium heat. Dip sandwiches in egg mixture until bread absorbs mixture but is not soggy. Cook, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides, adding remaining butter as needed. Keep warm in low oven.
- Drizzle French toast with maple syrup. Serve with glass of milk.
- Use crunchy or smooth peanut butter.
- Spread strawberry jam over bread, too, for PBJ Hong Kong French toast.
- Top French toast with a pat of butter before serving if desired.