Take this refreshing versatile salad on your next camping trip. Good in a lunchbox too!
- Cutting board
- Salad bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Can opener
- 1 can (398 mL) of your favourite beans (we like black beans but chickpeas or black-eyed peas would work, too)
- 1 can (341 mL) corn niblets
- 1 or 2 chopped sweet peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup (250 mL) cilantro leaves
- juice from 1 or 2 limes (2-4 Tbsp or 15-30 mL)
- 2 -3 Tbsp (30-45 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
- Drain and rinse the beans and corn and add to salad bowl.
- Chop the sweet peppers and red onion. Peel the mango (try using a vegetable peeler) and chop. Pull the leaves off the cilantro stalks. Add all to salad bowl.
- Mix in the lime juice, olive oil and salt.
That's it! You can experiment with the amount of each ingredient depending on your own personal taste. For example, we only use a small handful of chopped onion but like a bigger handful of cilantro and a large mango. It's up to you.
Serve as is with a fresh baguette—or add to quesadillas, scrambled eggs or pasta salad.