- Large frying pan
- Slotted spoon
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- 3 slices bacon, sliced into ½-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 1/4 lb (575 g) Brussels sprouts, stems and leaves trimmed, then cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- Shaved Canadian Parmesan for serving (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat until crisp, about 5 min. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a large bowl.
- Discard all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) fat from pan. Add Brussels sprouts and stir-fry until some are a deep golden colour, about 3 min. Add ½ cup (125 mL) water. Stir and continue to cook Brussels sprouts, stirring occasionally until tender but not mushy, about 5 min. Add Brussels sprouts to bacon, using a slotted spoon if any water remains in pan.
- Wash frying pan. Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook about 1 min. Sprinkle with flour and salt; whisk about 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Whisk for 2 to 3 min until smooth and thickened.
- Return Brussels sprouts and bacon to pan, stir until hot, about 1 min. Season with pepper. Serve with Parmesan, if using.