- deep saucepan
- small bowl
- whisk or fork
- 1 lb (454 g) cubed Canadian stewing beef
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 small or 1 large peeled and cubed sweet potato(about 1 lb/454 g)
- 1 small chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk (3.25%)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped kale leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain Greek orBalkan-style yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle beef with half each of the salt and pepper.
- In a large, deep saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef all over and place on a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and lemongrass, stirring to coat well. Add broth, remaining salt and pepper and return beef and any juices to the saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer; cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and flour until smooth. Stir into stew along with kale and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until thickened and kale is wilted. Remove from heat and ladle into serving bowls.
- In another small bowl, stir together yogurt and cilantro. Dollop on top of stew in each bowl to serve.
Tip: Remove lemongrass pieces before serving