- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Using pastry cutter or fingertips, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cheese and rosemary; toss well.
- Whisk together 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) buttermilk and egg; stir into flour mixture until dough comes together.
- On lightly floured surface, knead gently just until dough comes together into a ball (do not over-knead dough). Shape into 8-inch (20 cm) round. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet and brush with remaining buttermilk.
- Using sharp knife, cut 1-inch (2.5 cm) deep “X” into top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown, cake tester inserted into centre of bread comes out clean and bread sounds hollow when bottom of bread is tapped. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
• The bread is best if served on the same day as it is baked.
• Substitute rosemary with thyme if desired.