- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large pot
- Colander or strainer
- Medium saucepan
- 1/4 lb (125 g) each yellow and green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) orzo
- 1 cup (125 mL) frozen shelled edamame
- 4 tsp (20 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 (2 1/2 mL) tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) homemade or store-bought basil pesto
- 4 cups (1 L) baby greens, such as kale, spinach, arugula or a mix of your choice
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil, patted dry
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) snipped fresh chives, chopped basil or your choice of fresh herbs
- Shaved parmesan for serving
- Cut beans in half or thirds depending on bean size.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook orzo for 6 minutes. Add beans and edamame; continue to cook 2–3 minutes until orzo and beans are tender. Drain well and return to pot.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and salt; cook, whisking about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Whisk for 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and slightly thickened. Whisk in pesto.
- Add sauce to orzo mixture along with greens and sun-dried tomatoes. Season with pepper. Stir 2 minutes over medium heat until greens are wilted and mixture is coated.
- Sprinkle with herbs and shaved parmesan.