- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- large bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- pastry cutter or fork (optional)
- mixing spoon
- rolling pin
- 2.5–3″ cookie cutter or drinking glass
- small sharp knife
- small bowl for melted butter
- pastry brush
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 3/4–1 cup (175–250 mL) milk
- 30 thin slices pizza pepperoni (approximately)
- 10 slices cheese, roughly 1.5″ square
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter, melted
- pizza sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C).
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, oregano and parmesan cheese.
- Add the butter to the bowl and mix in with a pastry cutter, fork or your fingers until crumbly (the pieces of butter should be about the size of a pea).
- Add 3/4 cup of milk to the bowl and stir together with a spoon until completely mixed. Slowly add the last 1/4 cup of milk, a little bit at a time, until the dough holds together and isn’t crumbly.
- Sprinkle some flour on the counter. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it’s about 1/2″ thick. Using a 2.5–3″ biscuit cutter, round cookie cutter or the edge of a drinking glass or cup, cut as many circles into the dough as possible.
- Separate the biscuits from the extra dough and set to the side. Roll out the rest of the dough just like you did in step 6. You should end up with about 10 biscuits. A couple more or less is okay.
- Rest one hand flat on top of a biscuit and slowly and carefully slice the biscuit in half with a small knife so that it can be filled, making sure to leave the back attached. Do this for all of your biscuits.
- Open the biscuits and fill with 2–3 slices of pepperoni and one slice of cheese. Close the biscuit back up and press together. Brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter.
- Bake at 425° F (220° C) for 10–12 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. Let cool for 4–5 minutes before serving with pizza sauce for dunking.
- If packing pizza biscuits for lunch, don’t forget to pack a small container of pizza sauce for dipping.
- To make ahead and freeze: Prepare biscuits up to step 9, but don’t brush with butter. Wrap each pizza biscuit in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for up to 2–3 months. To bake from frozen, simply place frozen biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with melted butter, and bake at 425° F for about 15 minutes until light golden brown.