- measuring cups and spoons
- 8×8” Square or round cake pan, greased
- Eeectric mixer
- large bowl
- wooden spoon
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 g) softened unsalted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 mL) almond extract
- 1.5 cups (175 g) flour
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) slivered almonds
- Using the electric mixer, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and almond extract and continue mixing until well blended.
- Add in flour and baking powder and mix by hand or with a spoon until combined. Dough will be sticky and stiff.
- Pat evenly into an 8 by 8 inch square or round greased cake pan and sprinkle almonds on top.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Looking to try more Dutch-inspired recipes?