Tapioca pearls or "Boba" is easy to make and versatile to use. Use these sweet and chewy pearls as a base to your bubble tea or smoothies and you will not be disappointed!
- large container
- 1/4" dry tapioca pearls
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (optional)
Uncooked Tapioca Storage: After you open the tapioca, seal the bag as airtight as possible. Store in a cool, dry area. Do not store in the refrigerator.
Cooked Tapioca Storage: Freeze unused cooked tapioca flat in a ziplock bag. When ready to use, break off desired portion and defrost in boiling water until soft.
Tapioca Pearls Recipe
- In a large pot, heat 7 cups (2 L) of water on high heat to a roiling boil.
- Add 2 cups of dry tapioca pearls and cook for 3 minutes on high heat. Stir lightly to prevent sticking and clumping. Tapioca should float to the top
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid, and simmer for another 12 minutes. Stir occasionally. If sweetening, start preparing sugar syrup while pearls cook. See the recipe below.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes with cover on.
- Rinse tapioca under lukewarm or cold water and drain excess water. If opting out of sweetner, serve and enjoy!
- If sweetening, pour tapioca into a container and add sugar syrup. Let pearls sit for 30 minutes prior to serving. Serve the pearls with sugar syrup and adjust sweetness to taste.
- Use tapioca pearls within 2 hours for best results.
Sugar Syrup (Optional)
- In a pan, combine 1 cup of water with ½ cup brown sugar and ½ cup white sugar. Heat on high.
- Stir and turn off heat once the sugar is melted
- Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature. Once pearls are ready, pour sugar syrup over tapioca pearls in a serving container.