Tapioca Pearls Recipe
- In a large pot, heat 7 cups (2 L) of water on high heat to a roiling boil.
- Add 2 cups of dry tapioca pearls and cook for 3 minutes on high heat. Stir lightly to prevent sticking and clumping. Tapioca should float to the top
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid, and simmer for another 12 minutes. Stir occasionally. If sweetening, start preparing sugar syrup while pearls cook. See the recipe below.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes with cover on.
- Rinse tapioca under lukewarm or cold water and drain excess water. If opting out of sweetner, serve and enjoy!
- If sweetening, pour tapioca into a container and add sugar syrup. Let pearls sit for 30 minutes prior to serving. Serve the pearls with sugar syrup and adjust sweetness to taste.
- Use tapioca pearls within 2 hours for best results.
Sugar Syrup (Optional)
- In a pan, combine 1 cup of water with ½ cup brown sugar and ½ cup white sugar. Heat on high.
- Stir and turn off heat once the sugar is melted
- Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature. Once pearls are ready, pour sugar syrup over tapioca pearls in a serving container.